Ray Burton Park Dedication

IMG_0378On October 22, 2013 Commissioners Michael Cryans and Martha Richards unveiled a plaque naming the site of the former Grafton County Jail the “Ray Burton Park.” It was the last visit that the now late Commissioner Burton made to the Complex and we were so very happy that he was able to see the unveiling and know that the site had been dedicated to him. When the construction of the new Correctional Facility began in 2010, Commissioner Burton spearheaded a public committee to gather input on “what to do with the old jail.” In early 2013, after the building had been vacant for over six (6) months and many meetings had been held – the Commissioners finally voted to demolish the old buildings. In August 2013 demolition was completed – now what remains is a beautiful grass park area with a tremendous view overlooking the Connecticut River Valley and North to the mountains. In the middle of the park stands a granite marker (which came from the old building) with two (2) plaques one naming the site the “Ray Burton Park” and the other listing all of the individuals who served as Superintendent of the jail from when it was originally built in 1898 through 2012 when the building was vacated.

IMG_0363IMG_0380Ray Jail